Sunday, July 4, 2010

Vuvuzellas, Penguins and Leonardo DiCaprio??

3 days have gone by but we have done so much it feels like a week. I'm getting to know everyone really well and we are all having a great time together. I just can't say enough how beautiful this country is and how interesting the culture and the people are.

Each day we've had breakfast at 8am and have gone to bed between 12 and 1. I'm not sure how I'm able to function on that little sleep but somehow I am making it work. Here's a recap of the past 3 days:

Friday:
We went to Robben island where Nelson Mandella was imprisoned for 20 plus years. We recieved a tour by a former prisoner of the island and learned about the harsh conditions that the prisoners experienced. Then we went down to a plaza by the water front and spent the entire afternoon/evening watching soccer, eating and enjoying the world cup "vibe".

Saturday:
We first stopped at a monument in honor of the Afrikaans language. We took pictures with the mountains (I've taken A LOT of pictures with mountains) and did funny poses on part of the monument that overlooked mountains with fog below. Our next stop was wine tasting at a well known vineyard. We tasted wine and ate different cheeses. It was delightful. After the wine tasting, we went into cape town and I finally purchased a vuvuzella. I always wondered why I always stuck with the French Horn all of these years but know I know why. My 12 years of playing the horn were just preparation for the day that I bought a vuvuzella. My life is now complete. Not to brag or anything but I'm pretty good at it. Like the day before, we spent the rest of the day watching soccer (and playing vuvuzellas) but this time there were 10 times more people. It was crazy!

Sunday:
Peninsula tour. Most beautiful thing ever. We stopped along the way a couple of times and took pictures. The mountains by the ocean were spectacular. Those most memorable part of the day was propbably Boulder beach where there are penguins. We walked along the beach and looked at the penguins and then someone spotted Leonardo DiCaprio. By the time I saw him, his entourage was booking it out of the park. I saw the side of his head and his back.

Okay, people are waiting for the computer. Next post I'll include some funny language differences. We start class and University of Cape Town today. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment