Thursday, July 1, 2010

I'm in South Africa!

Disclaimer: There's no spell check on this computer.

Hello from Cape Town, South Africa! I absolutly love it here so far! It was a long and boring adventure getting here but after 2 flights and the 5 hour layover we made it. The whole "A team" welcomed us at the very nice and new Cape Town airport. That's made up of Corvell, our program director/coordinator who is from this area, his son Dayle, his friend Johnie and Owen who we haven't actually met yet. Our first stop was for food at the only place that was open at 11 at night, Corvell called "The American Embassy"...McDonalds. Yup, chicken nuggets and sweet and sour sauce were my first official meal in Afirca.

To give you an image, Cape town reminds me a lot of Florida. The trees, the roads the building architecture all seem similar to me. Oh, and there are mountains! Imagine Florida but with mountains. I'ts absolutly beautiful. A fun fact about this country, it's most known for diamonds, chocolate and wine. (Family, you might have to come get me for me to come home).

A cultural aspect that I keeps giving me a semi-heart attack is the whole driving on the other side of the road thing. On our ride home from the airport, Corvell was sitting shotgun (the left front seat, our drivers seat in the US). He turned around to tell us something and my heart nearly stopped. In my mind, that's the spot where the driver sits!! Why isn't he paying attention!? Well, not in England, Australia AND South Africa.

Finally, I just wanted to share what I had for lunch yesterday. I had a hamburger covered in Monkey Gland sauce. I ate it thinking that it was made from monkey but then found out that it's not actually. It tasted like steak sauce and was delicious.

Okay so, everything is wonderful. Dio Gratia is beautiful and I genuinly like every single person in the program.

Got to run. Breakfast is in 10 minutes. We're going to Robben island today and then watching a soccer game.

Nelson Mandela Quote of the Day:
"In my country we go to prison first and then become President."

No comments:

Post a Comment